Following the suspension of Onnoghen by the FG and the lawsuit he files against the FG. The Nigeria Senate will no longer proceed with its effort to challenge the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen at the Supreme Court, Punch is reporting. A statement released by the special adviser to the Senate President, Yusuph Olaniyonu on Monday confirmed the red chamber’s decision to withdraw the suit. Olaniyonu said the decision to withdraw the suit was due to the intervention of the Nigerian Judicial Council (NJC), which it has decided to give a chance. “This decision also affirms the confidence of the senate in the ability of the NJC to successfully and creditably resolve the issues,” Olaniyonu explained in the statement.
However, 56 members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Senate have rejected the decision to call off the suit.The senate leader, Ahmad Lawan said in a statement that they “rely on the Supreme Court (additional Original Jurisdiction) Act 2002 which provides that the resolution of the respective chambers of the National Assembly is a prerequisite of filing such suit.” Last week, the upper chamber had in a suit marked SC.76/2019 asked the apex court to declare Onnoghen’s suspension without the support of two-thirds majority as a violation of section 292(1)(a)(i) of the constitution. The Senate’s decision to withdraw the suit just a day to the hearing has led to confusion among observers.